Tuesday, November 5, 2013

My Thoughts: Gay Marriage Legal in Illinois

As a Christian, I feel pressured to be against gay marriage. I am told everyday by the news, Facebook friends, articles, that it is wrong. Marriage should only be between a man and woman. Period. No other options.  The Bible and God say gay marriage is wrong. 
However, the Bible tells us that all sin is forgivable with the exception of blasphemy. To me, that means that every other sin is forgivable, and thank God for that. 

Mark 3:28-29
Truly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the children of man, and whatever blasphemies they utter,  but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin.

The Bible also tells us that homosexuality is wrong.  I cannot deny it, it does tell us it is wrong.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10
Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexuals nor thieves nor the greedy nor the nor the drunkards nor the slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

Wait. What? Nor drunkards, adulterers, and all the rest mentioned will not inherit the kingdom of God either? But I don't see any laws against being an alcoholic, or being a cheater. Yes, there are laws against stealing, but even stealing doesn't have the stigma or the anger from the public that gay marriage does.  My biggest thought on being gay, is that being unfaithful in a marriage is much more common, and it hurts people and can tear a marriage(s) apart. Whereas, two same sex people falling in love is hurting no one. In fact, depending on where they live, may create a marriage. Alcoholics are the same, they can destroy themselves and their families, or if they drive under the influence, they can take the live or lives of innocent people. And again, gay people are the bad guys? If we want to condemn gay people for loving, then we should condemn the unmarried couple who are intimate, the alcoholic at the corner bar, the thief who is stealing food, the man cheating on his wife for the first, second, third time. But we don't. We turn a blind eye to most and stare directly at gay couples who just want the right to marry who they love. The right to make medical decisions when their loved cannot make the decision for their self. The ability to share insurance and collect benefits.

One more thing, the Bible tells us that we should love our neighbor. And that we should not judge others.

Matthew 7:1
Do not judge others or you too will be judged.

Why do we feel the need to judge how other people live their lives? Why can we not live and let live.



My thoughts are that we have no right to judge against gay people. None. None of us are sinless. We all sin. Think about that. We. All. Sin. We all do things that keep us farther away from God. I can't say that gay people will or will not go to Heaven. I can't even say that I know that my neighbor, my friends, my family will go to Heaven. I can hope everyone will. I can pray that everyone will. But in the end, the only person I have control over is myself.



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment