Saturday, September 28, 2013

Why Don't You Use Your Degree???

In May of 2011, I graduated college with my nursing degree. Since then, I haven't even looked for a job.

But wait, let's back up. At the age of 20, I went to school and got my CNA. In fact, Sam did as well. As soon as that class finished, I enrolled full time, working toward my nursing degree. During my first "real" semester of college, I became pregnant with Parker. No big deal, I continued on with school. That fall I turned in my application for the nursing program. I also switched to all online classes since Parker was scheduled to be born during the semester.

Sometime in early spring of 2009, I got a phone call that I was accepted. Yay! Cheers were shouted, tears were cried. I was going to be a nurse. With a 7 month old and a soon to be 3 year old, I started nursing school. It was long hours and very hard.  Landon had only been in daycare for a few months when he was younger and only a few days a week. Sam at this point had gotten a job with the state, and between my mom and Sam, they were able to care for the boys while I was in school.

The first year passed, and I began my second year. We decided we wanted to expand our family, so we started trying for Alta, and sure enough, I trudged through my second year pregnant the entire time except the first month.

I had Alta exactly 4 weeks after I graduated. Time for a job, right?!

Not quite. My mom's health had steady began to decline. She had a terrible ulcer on her leg that needed dressed every day, someone had to do it. She was only eligible for home health 3 times a week, and sometimes only 2. Not only did she need her leg dressed, she needed someone to take her to appointments, go shopping for her, help her around the house, sometimes helping her get dressed, and to be a companion for her. Between Mom, my kids, my husband, and my home, we decided that I would continue to stay home until Mom got better. For over a year I was her nurse.

When she died, I thought I would get a job then. I pretty much had one guaranteed at the wound center she went to.  Again we talked and decided the kids and Sam needed me at home more than we needed the money. Sam is an awesome provider and while we don't have everything, we have what we need and some of what we want.

Now that we have made the decision to homeschool, I am home indefinitely. I am keeping up with health news. And eventually I would like to get my bachelor's degree. Maybe when the kids are out of the house, although that doesn't seem like it will happen anytime soon. Or maybe by that time I will be watching my grandchildren while their parents work. Who knows. What I do know is, I do not regret going to school and getting my nursing degree. I was able to prove to myself I could do it. And I did it.



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment